Friday, 1 June 2007

London on film...

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/06/is_london_an_uncinematic_city.html

My response to the above blog...

Four Weddings and a Funeral does make the South Bank look pretty darn fabulous. Esp' that momentary tantalising bridge shot. I've been reasonably impressed by those recent apocolyptic versions of London like 28 days, esp' Children of Men. Notting Hill is a tres cheesy movie natch, but that tracking shot of Hugh Grant as he walks through the market is still rather well done (tho' also cheesy). If the author can't imagine a car chase in London, he should watch the Sweeney as previous poster said - and the Professionals. I myself thought Match Point was visually rather good, but hey, I'm a foreigner. That rotter did for gorgeous Scarlett in a charming street in Marylebone, a stone's throw from Holmes's supposed digs in Baker Street. I think a lot of folks are forgetting that The Long Good Friday and Mona Lisa do a good job of showcasing Londinium, as does Layer Cake. Previous poster mentioned Werewolves of London, a timeless classic. While Mike Leigh is there for the nitty gritty kitchen sink stuff in Secrets and Lies. To my mind, any view of London in cinema has to go down to The City and The Thames. As the Clash said: 'I live by the river'. It's Friday afternoon and London's calling. Mine's a pint. Ding Dong.

No comments: